Before I get started, what the heck is “Video Game Genre”? Remember, I’m not real tech savvy, but I’m learning.
The definition for “Video Game Genre” goes like this, “A video game genre is a specific category of games related by similar game play characteristics.
As you will see genres may include a variety of games, leading to even more classifications called sub genres. For example, an action game can be classified into many sub genres such as platform games and fighting games.
Okay, did everyone get that? Clears as mud, right? I am going break down the different Video Game Genres and give a game example within each major video game genre.
- Action: Action games have physical challenges that require eye-hand coordination and motor skill to overcome. The Grand Theft Auto series is a very popular action game. Also, the superheroes Batman, Superman, or Spiderman are action-packed games.
- Adventure: adventure games describes a manner of game play without reflex challenges or action. They normally require the player to solve various puzzles by interacting with others or the environment. One of the all-time best adventure games is the Legend of Zelda.
- Action-Adventure: These combine physical actions, solving puzzles, and interaction with people or the surroundings. The hit TV series “The Walking Dead” spawned a very fun game dealing with the zombies of the world.
- Role playing: Most of these games cast the player in the role of one or more “adventurers” who specialize in skill sets (such as melee combat or casting magic spells) while progressing through a story line. Skyrim and Mass Effect are two widely played role-playing games. These virtual worlds are massive.
- Simulation: Simulation games is a diverse super-category of games, generally designed to simulate aspects of a real or fictional reality. The life simulation game “The Sims” is a mega-hit where you interact with a family called the Sims. My favorite simulated games are flying fighter jets.
- Strategy: Strategy video games focus on game play requiring careful and skillful thinking and planning in order to achieve victory and the action scales from world domination to squad-based tactics. The gameHearts of Iron IV allows one to control any country in the world.
- Sports: Sports are video games that simulate sports. This opposing team(s) can be controlled by other real-life people or artificial intelligence. This genre covers anything from racing cars to playing football, basketball, baseball. It can include competing in the Olympics. The choices are limitless for any sports fan.
- Other notable genres: MMO (Massive Multi-players), Casual (Short/relaxing/ very low requirements), Party (Games for parties), Logic (Puzzles and mazes), Trivia (Answering jeopardy-like questions), board/card games (Chess or Poker).
From toddler to senior citizens, female to male, from beginner to gaming pro, casual to serious gamers, there is something for anyone who picks up a controller or sits down in front a computer screen.
In our homes, in the classrooms of our young ones, as part of our hospital’s operating rooms, even in the battlefields where our finest soldiers risk their lives, video games are not just toys anymore, but they can be tools.
In the long run video genres are just labels. They don’t really mean a lot. I hope I have helped others to see the endless choices one has in the video gaming world.
So my fellow gamers, especially your grandpas and grandmas out there, join me, your friends, and your families in a new and fun way to reconnect with people.
Or if you choose, just sit back in your recliner, loaded up your futuristic spaceship, soar the galaxies, and save the universe from potential evil-doers.
Have fun gamers.
With all that being said, “Lets Game!!!”.