Before I get started, what the heck is a “Video Game Genre”? Remember, I’m not real tech savvy, but I’m learning.
The definition for a “Video Game Genre” goes like this, a video game genre is a specific category of games related by similar gameplay characteristics.
As you will see, genres may include a variety of games, leading to even more classifications called sub-genres. For example, an action game can be classified into many sub-genres such as platform games and fighting games.
Have included a link for a greater breakdown of all the different genres. Please check out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_genres
Okay, did everyone get that? Clears as mud, right? I am going to break down the different Video Game Genres and give a game example within each major video game genre. I hope and pray this makes sense.
- Action: Action games have physical challenges that require eye-hand coordination and motor skill to overcome. The Grand Theft Auto series is a very popular action game. Also, the superheroes Batman, Superman, and Spiderman are action-packed games.
- Adventure: Adventure games describes a manner of gameplay
without reflex challenges or action. They normally require the player to solve various puzzles by interacting with others or the environment. One of the all-time best adventure games is the “Legend of Zelda”. The “Legend of Zelda” has been around for decades. This game is popular among all age groups or genders. These kinds of games usually have a very good storyline to follow and play.
- Action-Adventure: These combine physical actions, solving puzzles, and interaction with people or their surroundings. The hit TV series “The Walking Dead” spawned a very fun game dealing with the “zombies” of the world.
- Role-playing: Most of these games cast the player in the role of one or more “adventurers” who specialize in skill sets (such as melee combat or casting magic spells) while progressing through a storyline. “Skyrim” and “Mass Effect” are two widely played role-playing games. These virtual worlds are massive.
- Simulation: Simulation games are a diverse super-category of games, generally designed to simulate aspects of real or fictional reality. The life simulation game “The Sims” is a mega-hit where you interact with a family called the “Sims”. My favorite simulated games are flying fighter jets like “Ace Combat”.
- Strategy: Strategy video games focus on gameplay requiring careful and skillful thinking and planning in order to achieve victory and the action scales from world domination to squad-based tactics. The game Iron IV allows one to control any country in the world.
- Sports: Sports are video games that simulate sports. The opposing team(s) can be controlled by other real-life people or artificial intelligence. This genre covers anything from racing cars to playing football, basketball, or baseball. It can include competing in the Olympics. The choices are limitless for any sports fan.
- Other notable genres: MMO (Massive Multi-players), Casual (Short/relaxing/ very low requirements), Party (Games for parties), Logic (Puzzles and mazes), Trivia (Answering jeopardy-like questions), board/card games (Chess or Poker).
From toddler to senior citizens, female to male, from beginner to gaming pro, to casual to serious gamers, there is something for anyone who picks up a controller or sits down in front of a computer screen.
Virtual Reality systems are the next big thing in the video gaming industry. Please check out this link.
In our homes, in the classrooms of our young ones, as part of our hospital’s operating rooms, even in the battlefields where our finest soldiers risk their lives, video games are not just toys anymore, but they are tools.
In the long run, a video game genre is just a label. They don’t really mean a lot. I hope I have helped others to see the endless choices one has in the video gaming world.
So my fellow gamers, especially you grandpas and grandmas out there, join me, your friends, and your families in a new and fun way to reconnect with people.
Or if you choose, just sit back in your recliner, load up your futuristic spaceship, soar to the galaxies, and save the universe from potential evil-doers.
Have fun gamers.
With all that being said,
I howl to God, please bring us closer together as a family which includes our friends, through a video game. If you have any comments, please leave below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Pierce my heart, My Lord”
Grandpa, johnny, the Grey Wolf, Watcher of the Woods.