The history of video games popularity began in the early seventies with the first commercial arcade game called Computer Space. It was followed by “Pong” (my first introduction to video games).
The first generation of home video game consoles was the Magnavox Odyssey.
Home video games started to become popular in Japan around 1983. That year, several competing companies, such as Nintendo, Sega Enterprises, and Bandai Co., came out with new game consoles
I am currently playing Galaga, a spaceship shooting game. It was released in 1979 by Namco. I still love it.
During the late 1990s and early 2000s, PlayStation by Sony and Xbox by Microsoft joined Nintendo as the three dominant consoles in the video gaming market.
These three major consoles are still going strong and are very popular today. As with each new generation, the technology gets more advanced and the video games get better and have more variety.
Our choices in video games are as diverse as the people who play them. Sometimes I can connect to people simply by talking about what kind of video games they play.
We talk about our favorite games and what are the most popular video games. Some video game titles have been around for decades.
I want to look at the most popular video games of all time.
To determine the most popular video games of all time, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed unit sales data for over 100,000 video games. This research was provided by the research firm VGChartz.
35 of the 50 most popular games appeared after 2005, mostly due to the advancement in technology. However, some classics are still fun to play.
This link lists several of the video game hits through the years.
Let’s begin going through some of the “Hits of the video game world”, These are in no certain order.
1. Tetris: It is a tile-matching puzzle game. It was released in 1989 by Nintendo. It has sold over 35,840,000 copies. Tetris combines continuous fun with mental stimulation for any age, young or old.
Women and older adults seem to like this game very much. It is easy and hard to play, a winning combination.
2. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga: A Lego-themed action-adventure video game. It was released in 2007 by Lucas Arts. It has sold over 15,300,000 copies. Legos and Stars Wars have become a very successful blending of building blocks and a very popular movie franchise.
Legos and Star Wars, a win-win combination. These games are a lot of fun for all the members of the family.
Other Lego games include superheroes in the storyline like “Batman”, the Dark Knight. I love it.
May the Force be with you.
3. Gran Turismo 3 A-spec: As expected, this is a car racing game. It was released in 2001 by Sony Computer Entertainment. It sold about 14,980,000 copies.
This racing game is considered one of the greatest video games of all-time. It is a blast to play and a must have for people who have a heavy-foot for the gas pedal.
This is one of the first racing game I really got into. I am not usually a fan of racing games. I crash a lot, but Gran Turismo 3 A-spec was and still is a lot of fun.
One of the coolest features of a racing game is when you crash, you don’t die. Hit restart and you are back in the driver’s seat.
4. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock: I no longer play a pretend air-guitar using a stick cranking out guitar licks of “Freebird” by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I can be my own “ROCK GOD” (Move over Gene Simmons).
This game was released in 2007 by RedOctane. It sold over 16,360,000 copies.
Using a video game controller to mimic playing the guitar was a stroke of genius for us want-a-be “Rockstars”.
We can now “Rise up, Gather around, Rock this place to the Ground”.
Get a few people together to form the next band of “Rock Legends”.
5. Battlefield 3: It is a first-person shooter video game. It was released in 2011 by Electronic Arts and sold over 17,320,000 copies.
This game is the eleventh in the Battlefield franchise and still going strong whether set in WWI or WWII or the future.
I know a lot of people don’t care about war games, they can be too bloody and violent. I agree. Parents really have to be careful about letting young play these types of games.
I do enjoy playing them. I hope that doesn’t make me a bad person.
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: This is an action role-playing video game. It was released in 2011 by Bethesada. It has sold over 19,320,000 copies.
It has dragons and the world is immense. This is a must-have game for all want-a-be warriors.
The landscape is breathtaking.
The online version of “Elder Scrolls Online” had a “Free Weekend”. 10 million people joined in. This is simply amazing. If we can get 10 million people together to play a video game, then maybe, we can get them together to change the world, not just the virtual world, but the real world.
Please check out this related link. https://www.pcmag.com/news/357653/the-elder-scrolls-online-celebrates-10m-players-with-free-we
7. Kinect Adventures: This one is a sports video game. It was released in 2010 by Microsoft and sold over 22,090,000 copies.
It is a collection of adventure and sports games.
The game utilizes the Kinect motion camera. You don’t set in a recliner. You must get up and move to play this game.
Please, take my word on this, it is hard to play, especially for old grandpas like myself. You work up a sweat, but it is fun.
No time for the gym? This game is your answer.
8. Nintendogs: A pet simulation video game. It was released in 2005 by Nintendo. Sales topped 24,680,000 copies.
These game sales surprised me, but I need to remember, I didn’t grow up in this techno age we now live in.
I can see the advantages, no poop, no messes, no pet food, no vet bills, and most of all, not having to put the family pet to sleep one day.
For me and please remember this. I love playing video games. But relationships with people and even our pets are more important than anything the virtual world has to offer.
If I am going to have a pet, I want the real thing, a creature of God.
I want something that licks my face, that I can pet, or listen to the sweet voice of a purring kitty, but that’s just me.
9. Duckhunt: This a light shooter video game where you hunt. It was released in 1985 by Nintendo. It sold over 28,310,000 copies. It is about the kind of hunting you did with your friends, your girlfriend or boyfriend, your sister or brother, your daughter or son, your mom or dad, your grandma or grandpa, or sometimes, just by yourself.
Not hard to play. It does help with hand to eye coordination. Wait, let me get this straight (Remember, I am an old guy). A video game can help make me be a better hunter in real life.
Hunters of the world, this is a given, “Get this game!”.
For the people in the world who say, “Hunting is bad”. If you kill to just kill for a trophy, then you are right.
But, if it is for food. We have no right to judge. Please remember, we are talking about a video game.
10. “VERY POPULAR WITH THE LADIES” Minecraft: It was released 2013 by Microsoft Game Studios. It sold over 28,730,000 copies. Very popular with everybody.
This is what the industry calls an “Open world, free roam”, or (more loosely) sandbox are terms for video games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom regarding how and when to approach objectives, as opposed to other video games that have a more linear structure to their gameplay.
Very addictive, but in a good way. Something you can play with your wife or girlfriend.
This game is a win-win.
11. Fifa 15 and 17: The Fifa 15 was released in 2015 and Eifa 17 was released 2016 created by Electronic Arts. The combined totals of sales for these two games topped over 30,590,000.
That is huge. Soccer/Association Football is the most popular sports in the world and we are not just talking about American football. Soccer reigns in the rest of the world.
Between soccer and football, there are over 3.5 billion fans worldwide.
No wonder soccer video games are so popular. An added benefit is you can play with other players from around the world.
They are fun to play and a change of pace from playing “Madden Football’.
Give it a chance.
12. Brain Age 1 and 2: Released in 2006 and 2007 by Nintendo. Gross sales for the two combined was 35,450,000.
These games will help train your brain. This is not mindless setting in the chair and hitting buttons randomly trying to hit the right combination.
You must think to play these games. I need these types of games. I am not into doing a crossword puzzle. I’m not a card player, checker player, or a chess player. I’m a video game player, call me what I am, a “Gamer”. Not a good one, but that doesn’t matter, RIGHT.
13. Grand Theft Auto series: Created by Rockstar Games.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Released in 2002.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Released in 2004.
- Grand Theft Auto IV: Released in 2008.
- Grand Theft Auto V: Released in 2013.
These four games sales have reached 122,560,000. Some of these popular games like Grand Theft Auto are cash cows for companies.
Oh yeah, they are fun to play. They can be a little rough, so be careful with younger kids.
I want to be honest about these types of games. I would never let a young kid play these games. They are raw and can be very nasty. Let’s be truthful here.
These games do have an appeal, I know they do with me. It reminds me of “Gangster” movies like “The Godfather” or “Goodfellas”. I love these movies. To be honest, I love playing the anti-heroes in these types of games like “Grand Theft Auto” or “Watchdogs”.
14. Wii Fit/Sports: Created by Nintendo.
This is another series of games where you must get up from the couch. You must move and get involved physically. There is a motion camera with this game like the Kinect games for Xbox.
- Wii Sports: Released in 2006.
- Wii Play: Released in 2007.
- Wii Fit: Released in 2008.
- Wii Fit Plus: Released in 2009.
- Wii Sports Resort: Released in 2009.
Total sales for this series is 188,980,000. WOW!
For all the critics, who say video gamers set on the buts all day, need to check these games out. It will seem like gym class.
15. The Pokémon Franchise: Created by Nintendo.
- Pokémon Red/Green/ Blue: Released in 1998.
- Pokémon Yellow: Released in 1999.
- Pokémon Gold/Silver: Released in 2000.
- Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire: Released in 2003.
- Pokémon Diamond/Pearl: Released in 2007.
- Pokémon Black/White: Released in 2011.
- Pokémon X/Y: Released in 2013.
- Pokémon Sun/Moon: Released in 2016.
Copies sold over the years have reached 149,570,000. The title comes from Japan which was originally called Pocket Monsters.
There are 9.5 million active users per day. We are talking about billions of players worldwide.
There are seventeen movies based on this game. It is a major phenomenon.
16. Mario Brothers Family: Created by Nintendo.
- Super Mario Brothers: Released in 1985.
- Super Mario Land: Released in 1989.
- Super Mario Brothers 3: Released in 1990.
- Super Mario World: Released in 1991.
- Mario Kart DS: Released in 2005.
- New Super Mario Brothers DS: Released in 2006.
- Mario Kart Wii: Released in 2008.
- New Super Mario Brothers WII: Released in 2009.
- Mario Kart 7: Released in 2011.
Total sales: 233,530,000. A major hit from the get-go. I believe every video gamer (serious or casual) has played some form of Mario brothers in their life.
These are always fun to play, even the older versions. Kids and adults love this game.
An oldie but a goody. Also, Mario is almost as old as me.
17. Call of Duty Juggernaut: Created by Activision.
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: Released in 2007.
- Call of Duty: World at War: Released in 2008.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Released in2009.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops: Released in 2010.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: Released in 2011.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2: Released in 2012.
- Call of Duty: Ghosts: Released in 2013.
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare: Released in 2014.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3: Released in 2015.
- Call of Duty: WWII: Released in 2017.
These war machine sales have totaled over 232,350,000.
Now, ladies, I will admit, most of these sales have probably come from guys. The games are about war, guns, battles, tanks, planes, and you know, guy stuff.
After a hard day at work, sometimes the best way to unwind is to just blow up some stuff. Only in the games though, no blowing up with your kids and especially, your wife. That’s a battle you can’t win guys. Trust me on that one.
Just by the sheer numbers of these most popular video games sales is proof, video gaming is a big part of our entertainment world.
Please check out this post about how video games are created. https://gamingwithgrandpa.com/how-video-games-are-created-it-must-be-magic#more-946
I barely skimmed the surface of other popular video games.
Other favorite video game franchises include:
- Assassin’s Creed games: (I love these games, I have almost all of them).
- World of Warcraft: join thousands of mighty heroes in an online world of myth, magic, and limitless adventure.
- Superhero games like Batman, Superman, and Spider-man.
- Fighting games: Tekken, Mortal Kombat, or Street Fighter.
- Sporting Games: Madden Football, hockey, baseball, and basketball.
- Racing and Flying games: Forza Motorsport or soar to the skies with Ace Combat.
I hope this post has been informative and helpful. It is amazing how video games have developed over the years. And they get better and better as technology grows. If you have any comments, please reply below or email me at email@example.com
I love the new games, but sometimes I enjoy just kicking back with an old classic. johnny, the Grey Wolf, Watcher of the Woods.